At present, the AHP items collected in Amsterdam are transported by road to the Italian facility but the aim is to build a facility as well in the Netherlands. Indeed, P&G aims to have at least ten facilities operational in metropolitan or city areas across the globe by 2030. A second is planned for India and there are discussions in a number of other countries, including France, Germany and the UK. A search is on for local authority and waste company partners.
The Problem and the Solution
So what is the problem and what’s the solution? According to statistics from WRAP, the UK alone disposes of around three billion disposable nappies a year, an estimated two to three percent of all household waste. While reusable nappies would be the most environmentally friendly route, the idea that everyone is going to switch is unrealistic, so the next best tactic is to try to keep them from landfill or incineration.
There have been – and still are – other attempts to recycle AHPs but they are a tough item. With the Italian facility, P&G, in part with patented technology, claims to have reached a higher rate of recycling than any other approach. The technology here is now on an industrial scale, says Dr Hatzopoulos, with an annual capacity of 10,000 tonnes, which equates to the AHP waste generated by around one million people.
The facility is in Veneto, at the site of waste contractor, Contarina SpA, in the Treviso region. It is no coincidence that this region is a flagship in terms of what can be achieved, with 85 percent recycling and a proactive approach to the other 15 percent – https://smartercommunities.media/recycling-italian-style-trevisos-success-story/